Increase your vitality & lifespan by learning the power of the breath…
Breathing is an essential part of being healthy & many of us don’t fill our lungs properly to take advantage of the oxygen & energy that we get from each breath.
We have put together some helpful hints to improve your breathing which in turn will give you more benefits than you would ever think possible.
There’s a big difference between breathing through our mouth rather than our nose…
The nose allows our lungs to get more oxygen from the air we breathe and helps the air to go straight to our brain!
Agitated mind, poor sleep, fatigue, brain fog and lack of concentration and focus are all associated with mouth breathing.
By breathing through our nose we can better respond to stress. When we exhale through our nose, our brain can react more quickly.
Let’s explore 1 of the basic techniques to enhance wellbeing called box breathing
- Sit up straight and breathe normally for a couple of minutes
- Breathe in through your nose counting to four slowly. Feel the air enter your lungs.
- Hold your breath for 4 seconds. Try to avoid inhaling or exhaling for 4 seconds.
- Slowly exhale through your mouth for 4 or more seconds.
- Repeat steps 2 to 4 until you feel re-centered.
Here’s a few benefits from practicing nasal breathing correctly:
- Improves breathing, with proven positive effects on heart rate, blood pressure and perceived exertion
- Relieves anxiety as it activates the parasympathetic nervous system and calms the body’s stress response
- Reduces asthma symptoms as it increases breath control and decreases the use of corticosteroid
- Improves sleep, often relieving instances of sleep apnea
- Relieves COPD and significantly improves pulmonary function
- Relieves symptoms of depression due to the positive psychological effects caused by deep breathing
So, this is just one simple way to improve your health journey!