Rise of the Superbugs. You might have heard of Zika, Ebola and Hendra, viruses that reside in animals and spillover into humans. And now we are hearing more about superbugs because 14-20 November is Antibiotic Awareness Week.
Superbugs are viruses and bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics. View this amazing video that actually shows the resistance in action.
Misuse and overuse of antibiotics both in humans and animals is largely to blame. Shockingly, two thirds of antibiotics prescribed by doctors are not needed. When was the last time you or someone you know took antibiotics—for their acne, UTI or flu—and did they work?
According to drug researcher, John Turnidge, Australians consume at least double the world standard. “We use twice as many antibiotics and we are not twice as sick.”
Mega microbes and mutant bacteria are predicted to kill 10 million people by 2050 with no current drugs to combat them or any currently being developed. So we know about antibiotic resistance but what’s the alternative? Boost our immunity with probiotics of course. With 80% of immunity in the gut, those superbug suckers don’t get a look in if we …
- Eat a diet that feeds our good bacteria—a diet rich in vegetable fibres from fruits, vegetables, pulses, nuts, seeds and wholefoods.
- Eat healthy fats that boost our immunity from grass fed animal products, avocado, coconut and hemp oil.
- Take a food based, multi strain probiotic and prebiotic like Probiotic Foods
- Choose organic food where possible, grown in nutrient and microbe rich soils.
- Use herbs and spices in cooking that have natural antimicrobial effects like oregano, thyme, garlic, ginger, clove and cinnamon.
- At the first signs of infection or feeling run down use Olive Leaf Extract, inhale tea tree oil, eucalyptus and peppermint oil and drink hot ginger, raw honey, chilli and lemon blend or an echinacea tea.
It’s up to us now. Let’s put the spotlight on PRObiotics instead of ANTIbiotics. Seek professional advice for your particular condition.
“Ever since taking probiotics two years ago, I have not come down with any seasonal flus or viruses, and as a business owner with a busy lifestyle, my health is my best asset. Not only have I felt healthier, Probiotic Foods has worked wonders for my dogs too.”
Joseph, Gold Coast, QLD