Emotional or stress eating is common during an event of this magnitude. It’s a common reaction to reach for food to help soothe negative emotions. The problem is, that the foods often chosen are usually highly processed, refined, white, sugary stuff, not really foods at all!
To top it off, perhaps you also know someone who indulged this Easter in sugar disguised as chocolate eggs? Just 100g of milk chocolate contains 52g of sugar. That’s not even what most people would consider a ‘large’ egg! Easter can have such a detrimental effect on our health because of the additional rush of sugar in such a small space of time.
We’re all guilty of this at one time or another so we don’t wish to make anyone feel guilty, our aim to help your body get back on track and kick sugar habits.
That sweet, white, sugary rush puts stress on your body and your immune system …
- Sugar tricks your brain into thinking you feel good emotionally, by activating the opioid receptors in your brain, which in turn flare up the neurological system.
- Excess sugar spikes the blood sugar levels causing a roller coaster effect—your body works overtime to compete with this effect to break down the sugar into glucose.
- Candida LOVES sugar! Candida takes over the body producing the toxic by product acetaldehyde which is poisonous to your tissues and leads to an imbalance of bacteria in the gut … which leads to a string of other uneasy and uncomfortable symptoms.
Excessive sugar consumption leads to inflammation, which overpowers your immune system. In this pandemic time, we really want to ensure our immune system is thriving to keep any illness inkling away.
An unhealthy gut craves unhealthy foods … so if you’re choosing the wrong things it’s time to flip and kick out unhealthy choices.
If you have found yourself or a loved one overindulging in sugar or emotionally eating, here are some helpful tips to create a good health routine and kick sugar habits.
- Up the beneficial bacteria! Increase the amount of Probiotics to assist your body in breaking down food again, whilst replenishing the gut with good absorbable nutrition. The good bacteria found in our fermented foods may also assist in controlling excess candida that may have had a party inside your gut with all the sugar it was receiving.
- Drink more quality filtered water. Start your day with a litre of water before you do anything else. This will help flush out the toxins and waste and take pressure off the liver. Effective hydration is key as our bodies are mostly water after all! Hydrating with clean, energised water is the basis of good health.
- Good morning habits. Create a morning routine to fuel your body with a big hit of nutrition. Before you reach for your morning caffeine hit, make a green drink. Pack fresh organic leafy greens, calcium packed celery and electrolyte filled coconut water for a refreshing morning smoothie. Top it off with a sprinkle of Probiotics.
- Reduce the snack attack! Add some good quality fat and protein to your main meals like nuts and seeds avocado, EVOO, nuts and seeds, grass fed meats, wild caught fish (canned is OK) and eggs to keep your blood sugar stable and reduce the temptation to snack.
Your body will love you for prioritising good habits and learning to nourish your body daily. Whilst you don’t need to change everything overnight, consistency is key. There’s no better time than right now to do the best for your body and your family.